GIMP# history

February 23, 2007 at 11:17 am | Posted in GIMP | 6 Comments

In the graph below you can see the download history for GIMP#. I registered the project on SourceForge in August 2004. Two months later I released the first version which resulted in a huge stir in the GIMP community: a whopping 47 downloads😉

GIMP# download history

2005 was also a quiet year with between 50 and 100 downloads per month. Things started to change in 2006 when Massimo Perga joined the project and contributed a win32 installer for GIMP#. You can see a steady increase in downloads from 100 at the begin of 2006 to about 400 in December. This year started very well with 500+ downloads per month.

Now what do these numbers actually mean? The first 14 months were very quiet in terms of number of downloads, even though quite a number of releases were made. Mostly because I didn’t pay much attention to promoting GIMP#. This never bothered me much because I had just fun coding on this little project. 2006 marked a change. I guess there are three reasons for that. I already mentioned that the win32 version was created. Secondly I started this blog on January 2006 and it pretty soon got picked up by a few blog aggregators. And finally I started posting on the GIMP Talk forums. Obvious conclusion : exposure really helps to make a project more succesful.

This year I will of course continue on improving GIMP#. One of the goals is to release 1.0 which will be released as soon as GIMP 2.4 is available. And I’m pretty confident that by the end of the year we will hit the 1000+ downloads mark🙂

6 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Hi, sorry for posting an off-topic comment, but I didn’t know where else to get in contact with you. I’m trying to compile Gimp# under Ubuntu Edgy 6.10. The configure file returned this error:


    checking for MONO… configure: error: Package requirements (mono >= 1.1.13.6) were not met:

    No package ‘mono’ found

    Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

    Alternatively, you may set the environment variables MONO_CFLAGS
    and MONO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

    But I’m positive I have mono installed, I uninstalled and reinstalled it to see if it works. Typing “mono –version” in the terminal shows me that I have version 1.1.17.1. Can you kindly show me what I did wrong? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

  2. Can you also check that gmcs is installed (gmcs –version)? Maybe you have only installed the run-time tools, but not the Mono development environment (compilers and such).

  3. “gmcs –version” returned:

    Mono C# compiler version 1.1.17.1

    Last time I made the same mistake (I posted on this site before :D) so I made sure gmcs was installed beforehand.

  4. any other idea?

  5. Install the libmono-dev package (at least on debian that helps).

    Thx for gimp#

    mk

  6. …Maybe you will get much more then 1000 download and sooner if you

    1 make available a updated windows installer

    2 discover that with something as “checkinstall” you could make easy debian and RPM packadge.
    (compiling Gimp# is not easy at least on Ubuntu ..i even build gimp and gap but i was not able to build gimp# on Dapper)

    3 Add the basic: till now Gimp# is just a nice pack of plugin
    With some documentation will be more easy to guess how it could be used also to develop NEW plugin.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: